Like duets, stitches are a highly beneficial tool for collaborating with other creators on TikTok and expanding your audience in the long run. But what exactly does ‘stitch’ mean?
The stitch feature on TikTok allows you to use parts of other creators’ videos in the same video you’re creating. On the other hand, by turning your privacy settings for stitches on, people can use parts of your video in their videos as well.
Let’s dive into more about what the stitch feature entails, some popular types of stitches you can make, and how you can create your own stitch on TikTok!
What Is a Stitch on TikTok?
On TikTok, the ‘stitch’ tool allows you to use parts of videos from other creators in conjunction with the video you’re creating. Therefore, by allowing other users to stitch your videos, they can use parts of your video in their own videos.
Stitches can be a great tool if you want to reinterpret someone else’s video or add to it. By collaborating with other creators and building on their content, you are able to reach a much larger audience and have more creative freedom in the content you are able to produce.
How to Create a Stitch on TikTok
Follow these steps to create your own stitch on TikTok:
- Select the video you’d like to stitch, and hit the Share button on the side
- At the bottom of the pop-up menu, select Stitch
- Choose the clip of the video you’d like to stitch, then tap Next
- Choose whatever filming option you’d like, and hit the Record button to start and stop filming your video
- Once you’re done editing your video, adding a caption, and adjusting any other settings, click Post
Managing Stitch Privacy Settings
When managing the privacy settings for stitches, you can choose from 3 options:
- Friends Only: Only your friends (people that you follow who follow you back) can stitch your videos
- Everybody: Anyone can stitch your videos regardless of if they’re following you or not
- Nobody: Nobody can stitch any of your videos
Additionally, you have the option to change privacy settings for all of your videos or each video specifically.
By going into your privacy settings, you can manage your stitch privacy settings for all of your videos. If you’d like to change privacy settings for a specific video, follow these steps:
- Go to the video you’d like to change the stitch privacy settings on
- Tap the More Options button on the side of the video
- Tap Privacy Settings at the bottom
- Turn the Allow Stitch toggle on or off
Examples of Stitches on TikTok
Like the duet feature that TikTok offers, stitches are a great way to collaborate with other creators and expand your audience. Here are some ideas of what a stitch can look like on TikTok:
- Adding a new perspective onto a story
- Reactions to videos
- Asking an open-ended question and having your followers stitch the video and answer it
- Reviewing products that other creators have reviewed
As an example, check out this stitched video where @kentai.haven uses his math skills to guess a user’s height based on the objects in the video.
Also, check out this stitched video from the NBA TikTok account where they use a common strategy for getting others to stitch your video by saying “Tell me you’re an NBA fan without telling me you’re an NBA fan.”