TikTok is one of the most popular social media platforms for creators to post videos in a multitude of genres. One of the reasons why creators love TikTok so much is because of how easy it is to edit within the app.
After gaining popularity over the years, TikTok introduced different editing features including duets. A duet is essentially a side-by-side video of two creators, and each video is playing simultaneously.
Let’s talk more about duets, how you can create one, and some of the most popular duet trends on TikTok!
What Is a ‘Duet’ on TikTok?
According to TikTok, a ‘duet’ lets creators post a side-by-side video with a video from another creator. Therefore, a duet would look like two side-by-side videos simultaneously playing on the same screen at the same time.
How to Create a Duet on TikTok
There are a variety of different reasons why creators duet videos on TikTok, and we’ll get into some of those later. Here’s how you can create a duet on TikTok.
- Select a video you’d like to duet, and hit the share button on the side of the video
- Tap duet on the bottom (if the video doesn’t have a duet option, the creator has not enabled this feature)
- Choose whatever filming option you’d like from the panel on the side
- Tap the record button to start and stop your video
- Tap the check mark to save your footage
- Edit your video however you’d like, add a caption, and tap post!
Who Can Duet With Your Videos
In your account privacy settings on TikTok, you can choose one of two options as to who can duet with your videos:
- Friends Only: If you choose this option, only your friends can duet your videos. Your friends on TikTok are people that you follow and who follow you back.
- Everyone: If you choose this option, anyone can duet with your video as long as your account is public.
Conversely, you can also easily turn on and off duets with one click of a button in these privacy settings, or you can go turn duets on or off for each individual specifically.
Changing Privacy Settings for Duets
If your TikTok account is set to private, you can duet other creator’s videos (as long as they’re not private), but others cannot duet your videos. In order for others to duet your videos on TikTok, your account must be set to public. To adjust your privacy settings, follow these steps:
- Tap the profile tab on the bottom right of your screen
- Tap the 3-line icon in the top right of your profile
- Click settings and privacy
- Select privacy in the drop-down menu
- Set your account to public or private
Common Types of Duet Videos on TikTok
The duets feature on TikTok came with a ton of trends for creators and influencers to take part in. Here are a few popular types of duet videos on TikTok.
A duet chain is essentially when you duet someone else’s duet, and the pattern keeps going. Through duet chains, we’ve gotten some of the most hilarious internet memes and even professionally created music compilations.
Check out this video that started off as a creator introducing his partner to his audience, but turned into a fake hostage situation with the power of duetting.
Singing and music videos are already one of the most popular genres on TikTok, so it’s no surprise that music creators have incorporated duets into their content. With duets, singers can beautifully harmonize and create music with other creators.
Check out this duet of two singers harmonizing to I’m Not The Only One by Sam Smith.