Is Twitter Blue worth the price? How digital content creators can use Twitter Blue.
Paying for a social media platform might not be something you’re used to, but if you are an influencer or a content creator, you might want to think about subscribing to Twitter’s latest premium plan, Twitter Blue.
What is Twitter Blue and how can you use this service to expand your reach, grow your audience, and earn more money? Is Twitter blue worth your money? We will be walking you through this step-by-step so you can learn how to maximize profits and take your career to the next level.
What Is Twitter Blue?
First of all, what is Twitter?
Twitter, founded in 2006, is a highly popular social media platform with a rich history of evolution. Co-founded by Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Evan Williams, and Biz Stone, the platform started as an SMS-based app for sharing short statuses via text messages.
Over time, Twitter expanded its scope and became a hub for sharing breaking news, discussing trending topics, and serving as a platform for influential figures, including presidents and other world leaders, to make important announcements.
Initially, Twitter had a 140-character limit for tweets, which has now been doubled to 280 characters. However, members of Twitter Blue, a subscription service, can tweet up to 4,000 characters in a single
As of June 2023, Twitter boasts over 500 million active users, although it is estimated that approximately 15% of all accounts are fake or inactive, which includes the likes of bots or accounts that have not been used in over 5 years.
In October 2022, billionaire Elon Musk assumed the role of CEO of Twitter, expressing concerns about the platform’s free-speech policies after Twitter executives banned previous American president Donald Trump and controversial social media personality Andrew Tate.
Musk’s appointment as CEO caused significant controversy, as he implemented various policy changes.
These changes included imposing temporary limits on the number of tweets a user can see per day and disabling links to third-party apps like Facebook or Instagram, thereby reshaping the user experience on Twitter.
As of July 2023, Musk is no longer CEO of Twitter, though he does still own the platform as a whole.
Who are the most followed accounts on Twitter?
The most popular twitter accounts as of July 2023 are:
- Elon Musk with 137 million followers
- Barack Obama with 130 million followers
- Justin Bieber with 113 million followers
- Katy Perry and Rihannah with 108 followers, respectively.
What is Twitter Blue?
Twitter Blue is a monthly subscription service that users can opt into. It provides several benefits, including a blue checkmark verification badge on your account and early access to certain new features like Edit Tweet.
Where can you purchase Twitter Blue?
Twitter Blue is currently available for purchase through various options.
On your desktop, you can purchase a paid plan for $8 per month or $84 per year.
For iOS users, Twitter Blue is available within the app for $11 per month or $114.99 per year.
Similarly, for Android users, it can be purchased within the app for $11 per month or $114.99 per year (or based on the pricing in your local currency).
New subscriptions to Twitter Blue are accessible globally on the web, iOS, or Android platforms.
Twitter Blue’s Features
With the exception of the blue checkmark, which will be granted to eligible profiles after a review process to ensure they meet all the necessary criteria, all features of Twitter Blue will be immediately accessible to subscribers. Below are just some of the features that Twitter Blue subscribers will gain access to once they sign up.
- Edit Tweets
- Allows changes to published Tweets within a 1-hour window for original and quote Tweets.
- Half ads
- Reduces the number of ads in the For You and Following timelines, with more non-promoted Tweets interspersed between promoted ones.
- Prioritized rankings in conversations and search:
- Boosts the ranking of interacted tweets and replies, and Blue subscribers appear in the Verified tab for others.
- Longer Tweets:
- Enables Blue subscribers to tweet up to 25,000 characters, including in Quote Tweets and replies.
- Text formatting
- Supports bold and italicized text in Tweets on twitter.com.
- Bookmark Folders
- Lets subscribers organize Bookmarked Tweets into private folders for easier discovery.
- Custom app icons
- Allows customization of the Twitter app icon on your phone.
- Custom navigation
- Enables users to choose items displayed in the navigation bar for quick access.
- Spaces Tab
- Testing a new interface for easier access to audio content in Spaces.
- Top Articles
- Lists most-shared articles from your network for easy discovery.
- Reader Experience
- Enhances the reading experience of long threads with a cleaner interface and adjustable text size.
- Undo Tweets
- Allows retracting a Tweet before it’s visible to others.
- Longer video uploads
- Blue subscribers can upload longer videos, up to ~2 hours and 8GB in size.
- Access to Media Studio
- Manages uploaded images and videos through studio.twitter.com.
- Offers colorful options to customize the app’s theme.
- NFT Profile Pictures
- Allows displaying NFTs as a hex-shaped profile picture, denoting ownership.
- SMS two-factor authentication
- Adds an extra layer of security with SMS-based two-factor authentication. Availability may vary by country and carrier.
It’s important to note that only Twitter accounts that have been created for more than 30 days are currently eligible for Twitter Blue at this time. This is to hopefully keep out bots and insure only real users have access to these features.
How can these features help influencers?
These Twitter Blue features all sound great, but how can they help you with your content creating career?
- Edit Tweet
- You can utilize this feature to make necessary updates, corrections, or additions to your published tweets within the one-hour window. It enables you to maintain the accuracy and relevance of your content to your followers and make sure you aren’t making any public mistakes.
- Half ads
- With reduced ad frequency, you will have more opportunities for your organic or non-promoted tweets to be seen by your followers. This can increase visibility, engagement, and the likelihood of reaching a wider audience.
- Prioritized rankings in conversations and search:
- Boosted rankings of interacted tweets and replies can help you stand out and increase your visibility in relevant conversations. It enhances your chances of being seen and engaged with by their audience.
- Longer Tweets:
- The expanded character limit allows you to provide more detailed and comprehensive information, share in-depth thoughts or insights, and effectively communicate their message. This can facilitate storytelling, provide valuable content, and engage your followers on a deeper level.
- Spaces Tab:
- This feature offers creators an enhanced interface for audio content, making it easier for you to host or participate in Spaces. It provides opportunities for live conversations, interviews, or Q&A sessions, fostering closer connections and engagement with your audience.
- Longer video upload
- You can share longer videos, allowing for more in-depth content, tutorials, or storytelling. This extended video duration provides more creative possibilities to engage their audience visually.
So, is Twitter Blue worth the $11 a month price tag?
For casual users, most accounts have reported not seeing much of a difference in their Twitter experience. But for brands and content creators, these features can raise engagement to new levels and create a huge wave of new followers coming in through pure organic reach. If you are wanting to see more engagement on Twitter and are looking to expand your audience, investing in Twitter Blue could definitely be worth your time.