Being verified with the symbol of a check mark on social media platforms used to be a way for platforms to identify which social media accounts belonged to celebrities. Now, it’s expanded into an essential part of establishing your brand and influence online. Verified accounts get more benefits, and nowadays, you can be verified on practically every major social media platform.
Keep reading to learn more about the following verification steps:
- Verified check mark on Instagram
- Verified check mark on TikTok
- Verified check mark on Twitter
- Verified check mark on Snapchat
What is a Certified Check Mark?
A certified check mark, or a symbol of a check mark next to your social media username, establishes that your account has been vetted by the social media platform you’re on. Getting verified on social media can be challenging as social media platforms take being verified as a serious step. After all, they want their audiences to know that verification is a serious step and shows authenticity.
A certified check mark means that you went through the process of being verified on that social media platform and met all the criteria. This can be tricky for people that don’t have a huge following, like a-list actors and actresses, but it demonstrates commitment when a smaller account has one. Keep reading to learn more about how you can get a certified check mark on different social media platforms and show others that you are the real deal.
How to get Verified Check Marks
How to get a verified check mark on TikTok
TikTok does not have set criteria to get verified or any verification rules. They are different from other social media platforms because you have to wait for the TikTok team to reach out to you about verification.
When they are considering your account, the TikTok team will look for the following:
- Consistently viral content: Accounts that repeatedly put out viral content have a much better chance of being noticed by the TikTok team.
- Media coverage: If you are featured in other media, like magazines, TV shows, or newspapers, this gives you more clout and exposure to the TikTok team.
- Consistent follower growth: The TikTok team is looking for accounts that are growing hundreds and even thousands of followers per day.
- Increasing watch time: Similarly, if your account is constantly gaining more watch time and views, your account will be in a better position to be verified.
- Account verification elsewhere: This will be a significant benefit if you’re already verified on other social media platforms. We recommend making sure these verified accounts are connected to your TikTok.
How to get a verified check mark on Twitter
Twitter is almost exclusively interested in verifying accounts that are “of public interest.” Usually, this includes subjects like the arts, fashion, government, religion, journalism, politics, business, sports, acting, and other public interests.
Other things you’ll need to be verified on Twitter include:
- A confirmed email address
- A profile photo
- A header photo
- A verified phone number
- A bio
- A website
- A birthday (unless your account is a company, organization, or business)
- Public tweets
Once you have these criteria, you can submit a verification request here. Keep in mind that Twitter is looking for accounts that are “active, notable, and authentic.”
How to get a verified check mark on Instagram
On Instagram, anyone can request a verification badge. However, Instagram is interested in public figures, brands, and celebrities for their verification badge, essentially people that have a higher risk of being impersonated.
To get verified on Instagram, you must first make sure that you are closely following Instagram’s community guidelines and terms of service. Then, make sure that your account has the following:
- Notable: This is an abstract concept, but it seems to include people that are well known and highly searched for people.
- Public: Private Instagram accounts cannot be verified.
- Authentic: Your page must represent a real person or registered business. It can’t be a fan account or “reposts” page.
- Completed: Your account must have a profile photo, complete bio, and public posts.
If your account meets these, go to your Instagram settings, then click account and request verification. From there, you’ll be prompted to fill in an application form.
How to get a verified check mark on Snapchat
On Snapchat, you can get a gold star next to your name once you’re verified. Snapchat doesn’t have clear criteria for verification. It seems that you will need at least 50,000+ views on your story. However, it’s unclear how often you need to post and if every post needs to be performing that well.
To submit a verification request, go to your Snapchat account settings. Then click “I need help” under “Support” and “contact us”. When asked “how can we help?,” click “my snapchat isn’t working.” Then choose other.
Snapchat will then try to troubleshoot for you, but you’ll want to scroll to the bottom of the screen and click “yes” under “need help with something else?” Then, click “my issue is not listed.”
Once there, fill out the details of your account and explain that people are trying to impersonate your account. Convince Snapchat why your account should be verified. Snapchat should respond within a couple of days.
Why Getting Verification Marks on Social Media Platforms is Important
So, why bother with the trouble of getting that verified check mark symbol at all?
There are many reasons that getting verified is worth the trouble. Let’s talk about some of the biggest benefits of social media verification:
- Depending on the platform, you may have access to more analytics and social media platform tools if your account is verified.
- Verified social media accounts show up higher in search results, allowing possible followers and customers to find your account easier. This can lead to a better ROI and follower count, and all you have to do is continue your content strategy.
- Builds trust with your audience. Having social media verification means that you’ll stand out among other accounts. Since others will know your account is genuine, you’ll likely get more engagement because people will feel safer interacting with your account.
- For personal brands, social media verification is significant because it marks your account as an industry leader. If someone is not familiar with your name but sees that you are verified, they automatically know that you are an influential, authentic person.
A verified check mark can provide your account with many benefits, including better levels of trust, search engine optimization, and access to more social media tools within the platform. We hope this piece answered all of your questions about getting that verified check mark symbol.
Don’t forget to share this piece with your friends and colleagues. Comment below if you are already verified on some platforms and what your experience was. If you’re looking to get verified, comment about where your account is currently and how soon you plan to submit a verification application.