What is the BeReal app and How does the BeReal app work?
BeReal is a social media app that prompts users to post an unfiltered photo of themself once a day. The app notifies users daily at different times to take and share an authentic photo in under two minutes.
The app’s goal? Encouraging unfiltered photo sharing that reflects the actual day-to-day life of your friends and loved ones. Not only this, but the photo you take for BeReal is taken with the front and back camera simultaneously.
The app discourages users from social media stalking by only allowing you to see what your friends are posting if you post that day as well. You can also share RealMoji reactions and comments on your friends’ photos. RealMojis require that you take a photo of your face reacting, such as a photo of yourself laughing or giving a thumbs-up.
The primary benefit of this app is that you can’t take much time to pose, get dressed, or change your environment for a more aesthetically pleasing photo.
How to use BeReal to grow your audience as an influencer
However, influencers with existing followings on TikTok, Instagram, and other social media platforms can grow their audience and connect with their followers on a deeper level on BeReal.
In fact, many are saying that capturing a truly iconic BeReal post is the best way to go viral on TikTok. Both are apps heavily used by Gen Z, suggesting that they play off of each other well.
Current influencers using BeReal have also used BeReal photos on other platforms, like TikTok, to gain followers and opportunities to go viral. For example, @emily.greeen received over 70,000 views and over 200,000 likes on her TikTok, sharing a BeReal with Harry Styles in it.
How to get started with BeReal
How to Start a BeReal Audience
- Download and create a BeReal account. Download at the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. BeReal requires a working phone number, birthday, full name, and username to create an account.
- Enter the confirmation code texted to your phone number.
- Immediately after creating your account, you will be prompted to take a picture and share it on the app.
- Choose whether you want to share the photo with everyone or only your friends. Click “Send” to post the picture. Each day you will be prompted to repeat this process.
Tips for Growing on BeReal
- Post every time the app prompts you. Do not skip a day because you won’t be able to engage with other users on the platform.
- Don’t be afraid to share raw, authentic photos. BeReal users are interested in the day-to-day lives of the people they follow – genuine photos are why they are on the platform.
- Reshare interesting or unique BeReals on other platforms, like Instagram reels or TikTok. Many people have gone viral on those platforms doing so and gained more followers on BeReal as a result.
- Interact with others on the app. Create a wide variety of RealMojis and react to other BeReal posts.
How to promote brands on BeReal and make money
Promoting brands on BeReal can be tricky because the BeReal app discourages product pushing and promotion. However, lifestyle and luxury brands may be an especially great fit for this app.
Brands that can post exciting behind-the-scene shots of office life, photo shoots, meetings, and glamorous events can create excitement around the brand. For influencers, you only have two minutes to post a photo. Otherwise, the app will alert people viewing the image that you took more than two minutes to post, losing the authenticity factor. However, incorporating your favorite brand products like mascara or a photo showing off your favorite brand of coffee may be an option.
BeReal is a particularly compelling app for many users because of its organic content. So brands or influencers looking to use this app should keep in mind that users want authentic content more than anything else. Content needn’t look picture perfect as long as it’s genuine and interesting.
One example of a brand tackling BeReal in an innovative way is Chipotle, a notable early adopter of many social media apps. Chipotle shares posts that include fresh food and even a clever post with a promo code for a free entree for the first 100 people who use the code written on a Chipotle bag. It’s been reported that this promo code is completely redeemed within a minute.
- Is the BeReal app safe?
Yes, the BeReal app is considered generally safe. Users will want to note that, like Snapchat, BeReal has a feature that pinpoints where people are when they post. However, BeReal has some privacy features, as any photo you post is automatically set as private to you and your friends. You have to specifically choose to post a photo publicly, protecting users from accidentally sharing more intimate photos.
- How does BeReal make money?
Currently, BeReal makes money through investments. It doesn’t require in-app purchases, subscriptions, or a fee to download. They also don’t show advertisements in the app.
- How do you get recognized by brands?
Influencers interested in getting recognized by brands on BeReal must be ready to monetize their post within the two-minute window. Otherwise, viewers will be alerted you posted the photo after the two-minute window. Influencers interested in getting recognized by brands on BeReal may consider posting lifestyle shots of them using the brand’s products and resharing them on other social media platforms to gain additional exposure.
- Can you advertise on BeReal?
No, you cannot advertise on BeReal. BeReal continues to advocate for an authentic experience, which includes no filtered photos and advertisements in-app.
BeReal is one of the up-and-coming social media apps dominating the interest of Gen Zers. While its two-minute window may make it difficult for brands and influencers to create curated content, it does lend itself to a raw, authentic experience that can be more compelling to viewers. Consider what kind of lifestyle and day-in-the-life content would be appealing but genuine for BeReal before starting your account.