An artist needs paints, a cook needs ingredients, and a YouTuber needs accessories. Sure, it is completely possible to shoot videos with nothing but your smartphone, but it is a very cumbersome process and you likely won’t get the results you wanted.
So, the best thing is to invest in some accessories that will help you take your content to the next level. Let us take a look at some of the best YouTuber accessories for your blog. Psst.. don’t forget to check out the guide at the end!
Here is a list of all the YouTuber accessories you will ever need, plus recommendations for each of them!
A camera is the most essential YouTuber accessory because you cannot shoot videos without it (duh!) Nobody likes watching blurry and shaky videos, so investing in a good camera is absolutely necessary if you want to shoot great content. It is also important that your camera is able to shoot high-quality videos – at least 1080p, although a video resolution of 4K is preferable.
Cameras come in different types, with each one serving a different purpose. So, the type of vlogging camera that you need is based on the type of content you want to create.
- Action Cameras: Ideal for sports, adventure, and travel vloggers. These are small, rugged, and often waterproof, and allow you to capture things while in the middle of an adventure.
- DSLR Cameras: Ideal for pro-level vloggers and professional videographers. These are very versatile and allow you to capture a wide range of subjects. They are most notable for their high quality.
- Camcorders: These are handy cameras that are designed to shoot videos. This might be a great choice for you if you tend to shoot your videos on the run.
- HD Webcams: Ideal for streamers and vloggers who make tutorials.
#2 External Microphone
Good audio comes second to high-quality video. But the camera is not always close enough to capture your sound perfectly and clearly, which is where an external microphone comes in.
Just like cameras, there are different types of microphones.
- Shotgun Mic: This type of mic is small and sits on top of the camera and captures sound from the direction it is pointed at. If you tend to vlog with the camera close to you, this would be a great option!
- Lavalier/ Lapel Mic: These are the mics that are clipped on to your clothes. These are ideal for conducting interviews or for shooting vlogs where you walk around a lot.
- Studio Microphone: These capture sounds from all around the studio, so they work best when you are shooting a vlog with more people. For example: a discussion or a podcast.
- USB Condenser Mic: This type of mic is meant to mimic a full digital audio setup. It captures clear and high-quality broadcast level audio. Ideal for streamers, singers, and professionals.
#3 Gimbal/ Tripod
To avoid shaky footage, a gimbal or tripod stabilizer is necessary. This will stabilize your video and also save you lots of time while editing.
Moreover, you cannot shoot everything handheld, which is when a tripod comes in handy. You can also easily carry them with you on outdoor shoots.
Best Gimbals and Tripods:
Lighting can make or break your videos. Even if you have the most technologically advanced camera with you, it can be difficult to get the lighting right. And if you are shooting indoors or in low light settings, your footage might end up being too grainy.
The solution to this is using portable lights such as ring lights, softboxes, or track lights. They add a soft and bright glow to your subjects and enhance the quality of your videos. You can also adjust the color temperature and brightness!
Best Portable Lighting:
#5 Camera Remote
When shooting with the camera far away from you, it can be cumbersome to keep going back and forth every time you want to adjust the settings. To avoid this hassle, invest in a camera remote that lets you control your device right from where you are.
Make sure that you purchase a camera remote from your camera’s brand. For example, if you have a Canon camera, go for a Canon camera remote. Ensure that it is capable of starting and stopping videos as well as taking pictures.
#6 Extra Lens
Most vloggers usually favor a wide angle lens. While this is great, it is always a good idea to have some extra lenses handy to allow you to capture different types of videos, especially if you are a pro vlogger.
For example: Prime lenses with larger apertures make it easy to capture things in low light. Standard lenses are great for when you are filming at a distance away from the camera and want a very professional look. Zoom lenses, on the other hand, are great for when you want to zoom in on your subjects.
#7 Video and Audio Editing Software
After shooting your video comes the post-production phase where you need to clean up and polish your video as well as audio. This includes cutting off unwanted parts, removing any background noise, color correction, and so on.
For this, you would need good quality video and audio editing software. Make sure to watch some tutorials and familiarize yourself with the tools before you use them.
Best Editing Software:
#8 Miscellaneous Accessories
These accessories are not necessary for every YouTuber out there, but you can invest in a few of them based on your vlogging needs.
- Drone: Vlogging drones are great for capturing aerial shots and videos with unique perspectives. They would be ideal for travel/ adventure vloggers. Example: DJI Mavic Air 2.
- Green Screen: Great for when you want to edit the background and add some digital effects later!
- Screen Recording Software: If you create tutorials, it might be worth investing in a good quality screen recording software. Example: OBS Project
- Animation Software: Sometimes, you want to use simple animation to explain things in your videos. In such cases, animation software comes in handy. Most of them have pre-made templates and are quite easy to use, even for beginners. Example: Adobe Animate, Doodly
How To Choose The Right YouTuber Accessories for You
With so many options available for each YouTuber accessory, it might be overwhelming to choose the right one that fits your needs. These questions will help you make a better choice:
#1 What type of videos are you going to create?
Certain types of content need specialized YouTuber accessories. Moreover, you cannot always use the same gear to shoot different types of videos. Plan on shooting underwater a lot? You need to invest in an action camera that is waterproof because the other types wouldn’t be of much use to you. Are you a travel vlogger who wants to document your adventures? A drone might make more sense.
In the previous section, I have highlighted the different types of gear available, so choose the one that fits your content needs the best.
#2 What is your budget?
YouTuber accessories can range anywhere from below $100 to more than $1000. However, more expensive doesn’t always mean it is the best for you. Decide how much you can afford to spend and look for the best gear within your budget range.
For example, if you are just doing this for fun, you can get an inexpensive point and shoot camera. But if being a YouTuber is your full-time profession, then it makes sense to invest in some more expensive gear.
#3 Where are you going to shoot your videos? Indoors or outdoors?
Shooting videos outdoors gives you access to natural light. But this is not the case when you are shooting indoors, so you may want to invest in some portable lights to enhance your videos.
Your shoot location also plays a hand in deciding the type of microphone you need. Lightweight, wireless mics are a great option for the outdoors. You also need to choose one that is capable of picking up sound from farther away and filtering the background noise.
When it comes to YouTuber accessories, there is no “one size fits all.” So, make an informed decision based on your needs and focus on creating quality content!